Unexpected Love Chapter 13 - (A JenLisa FF Story)


Unexpected Love Chapter 13 - (A JenLisa FF Story)

***LISA***


Am I dreaming? Because if I am, it feels so real. And if you’ll ask me if I want to wake up, no, I don’t want to. Never again.

She pulled away and sat back in her seat. Rested her head on the headrest. Eyes closed. Maybe she’s steadying herself before she’ll say something about it.

I flattened my back to my seat, too. Breathing heavily, and I could feel my chest pounding up and down. Everything is burning inside, from my cheeks down to my toes.

It took me half a minute to calm myself before I tilted my head towards her to see if she’s having the same experience, and it looks like she’s also catching her breath just like me.

“Yes, Lisa… I like you… I like you, too.”

She breathed in between the phrases, and she only opened her eyes after she said the last word to search mine. Our eyes met. Is she as flustered as I am? How could it be? She’s the one who yanked me towards her, right?

“I’m sorry… I caught you off guard.”

Though she looked flustered when she opened her eyes to meet mine, it didn’t manifest when she spoke. She still sounded composed, as if nothing happened.

I chuckled, then reached for her hand. Her hand is warmer this time, which matches the warmth flowing inside me.

“Well… if being caught off guard means kissing you, I never mind.”

She giggled, and I shrugged.

“You’re incredible.”

I hissed.

Her cheeks reddened with my remark, and that broke our stare from each other. She straightened up and shifted her gaze in front of her.

“You’re five minutes is up. Can you let me go?”

“Let you go?”

I shook my head, still looking at her, albeit her eyes are no longer in mine.

“Nah! Now that I have you? I will never let go.”

She glared at me, then pulled her hand from my hand to hit me on my arm. I winced at the force of it.

“That’s so cheesy, and you’re giving me more reasons to go home!”

She squinted while suppressing the smile on her face.

I laughed.

“Fine! I know you need to rest now. Let’s go?”

“Yeah!”

We stepped out of the car, and I led her to the walkway. Well, I didn’t cross the road anymore because she didn’t want me to.

“Good night. Well… I won’t give you a goodnight kiss anymore. You already had one.”

She rolled her eyes.

“Hey! That’s a different story. It’s not a goodnight kiss!”

I objected playfully.

“Do you want it to be the last?”


She said coldly.

Her tone washed the playfulness inside me because it feels like she meant it.

“Okay… good night.”

She smirked before she set her first step towards their house.

“Wait…”

I paused, and that urged her to stop to face me again.

“Are we… together now?”

“Hmm… Are you in a hurry?”

“Hmm?”

“I mean… is it okay if you’ll give me more time to decide?”

Well, it’s better than saying no. Besides, knowing that she likes me, too, and that we already exchanged a kiss, I think there’s nothing wrong if I’ll allow her to think about it.

“Sure… no problem. I’ll wait until you’re ready.”

She broke her promise because she leaned forward and gave me a peck on my cheek.

*****


***JENNIE***


Jisoo’s mom called, and as much as she wants to stay here for several more days, she can’t. She said her mom needs her at home, which she doubts big time.

“So, you’ll go home today?”

I wasn’t looking at her when I blurted out my question. I fixed my attention on the cup I’m rinsing in the sink. Afraid that it will slip from my hand because grandma’s cup is heavy. I don’t want to break it.

Now a question suddenly popped up from my head. How could she enjoy her coffee in this heavy cup?

“Hmm… no. Not yet. I asked mom if I could stay for one more day. Well, she didn’t complain, though. She said it’s okay, but she wants me to drive before the sun rises tomorrow to save myself from traffic.”

“Well, I couldn’t disagree with her. It’s a long drive, and if you’ll squeeze yourself in traffic, that only means additional hours on the road, which sucks.”

I cringed at the thought of being stuck in the traffic. Thank God I’m here now in this little town, free from city noise, traffic, and pollution.

“Hmm… yeah, which I hate the most.”

She snorted before I handed her the heavy cup in my hand. That thing caused pain in my wrists. Good thing I’m done with it.

“So… since it’s your last day here, what do you want to do today? We need to make it extra special since we don’t know yet when we will see each other again.”

Her face fell. She doesn’t like the idea that there’s no definite time yet when we will see each other again.

It’s not that I want to hurt her feelings though, it’s just… I’m being realistic. Who knows when she will have another time to drive here, or when I will have time to drive to their house? First, I don’t have a car. I can take a bus, but that means I need to prepare myself for over five-hour travel.


I opened the cabinet above the sink and pulled a towel to dry my hands, and then I faced her. She’s still wiping the cup I handed over to her.

It’s an enormous cup with a wide mouth and without body curves. Just a typical shaped cup, only bigger and heavier.

“Do you have recommendations?”

She opened the cupboard to rest grandma’s cup inside. 

“This is remarkably heavy. You know.”

Oh… she noticed it, too.

“I know… and I have no desire of using it.”

“Me, too!”

She closed the cupboard and leaned at the counter, right hand on her waist. Waiting for me to settle myself on the far end chair of the nook.

“So… what are your recommendations?”

“Hmm… why don’t we ask Lisa?”

“Oh… you depend on Lisa now?”

I squinted and tossed the towel on her. It landed on her chest, and she caught it with her right hand, then laughed. Her voice roared from all corners of the kitchen. Oops! I’m betting on the entire house. Good thing grandma is outside doing her morning walk, or else I need to explain to her the reason for this commotion.

“Shut up! You surely enjoy this, huh?”

She might have noticed that I’m no longer okay with this ‘teasing thingy’ she’s doing to me. And that stopped her from laughing. She cleared her throat and mimed that she’s now sealing her lips and it won’t happen again.

I rolled my eyes, still annoyed with all her playfulness.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry!”

She walked towards the nook and sat at the chair nearest to me.

“Go ahead! Call her now.”

*****


***LISA***


Mom knocked on my door at seven to tell me she’s leaving this early to catch her ten o’clock flight. It’s another business conference in Japan. That’s the only thing I remember from what she said.

Honestly, I didn’t grasp everything because I’m half asleep when I opened the door. As far as I collect my memory, she mentioned something about breakfast. That she already cooked something for me. But I’ll verify that later when I gain enough strength to move my feet downstairs.

My phone rang. And I’m firm about not picking it up because I know who it is. And I’m a hundred percent positive that it’s only Tom. Checking if I’ll work today or not. Well, I’m not in the mood for work. Not because I don’t want to stretch my bones, but because I’m not ready to face Rose yet.

It stopped from ringing, which means I can now go back to sleep.


But it rang again. I don’t think it’s Tom this time.

Eyes still closed, I extended my arm to the bedside table to reach it.

“Hello?”

I think my voice cracked because the person on the other line apologized instantly.

“Oh… sorry. Bad idea to call. I’ll just message you.”

That voice immediately woke me up.

It’s Jennie on the other line. I wonder what is it about because it’s her first time calling me this early, or rather it’s her first time to call me… ever.

“Hey! That’s fine! I’m already awake, it’s just I’m still in bed. What is it?”

I collected myself and acted that I’m already awake, though I’m still in my half-asleep state. Well, that’s because I don’t want her to feel guilty about waking me up, so saying something like a white lie won’t hurt, right?

“Why? You’re not working today?”

“Yeah. I’m not in the mood to go to the coffee shop.”

“Why? Something wrong? Are you sick?”

She sounded worried. And even though it’s not right to make her feel that way, I still couldn’t help myself but smile with it. Well, can you blame me if I’m thrilled by it?

“No, no. I’m fine. It’s just… it’s just I’m not ready to see Rosie yet.”

I’m sure that explains it all because she immediately accepted my reason without further question.

“I understand.”

“So… why’d you call?”

My curiosity is still hanging in front of me since she hasn’t answered it yet.

“Oh… yeah… that… Jisoo and I need your recommendation for today. She’s leaving tomorrow morning, so we’re thinking of doing something. Something remarkable, maybe.”

That suddenly excites me. So I pushed myself up and slide until I reached the headboard to rest my back.

“Can I go with you?”

I said impulsively, but I didn’t regret that I’ve said that. Regardless if she’ll say yes or no, I’m still glad she called just to ask for my recommendation. But I’m hoping that she’ll say yes.

“Well… now that you’re having time off, you joining us is better than us going alone, right?”

Her tone tells me she’s smiling with everything she said. Does this conversation excite her, too? If that is the case, I’m sure she’s also blushing with it because it’s a usual thing for her. Flushing red on her cheeks whenever I say something that flatters her.

“Right!”

I giggled because I can no longer suppress the happiness I have and the thought that she’s smiling and blushing on the other line.

“So… what now?”


“Yeah, would it be fine with you two to have a picnic? Remember, I mentioned to you we have an enormous park here? We can go there with our blanket and picnic basket. It’s a nice place to spend the entire morning since it’s not packed with kids yet.”

“Oh… yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that. That’s a great idea. I never had a picnic yet since I live in the city. Okay, okay. We’ll prepare now. What time we’ll meet outside?”

“Hmm… around nine?”

“Sure, sure. See you later.”

She hung up, and I stayed in my position. Another wonderful day with her.

*****


***JENNIE***


Jisoo and I are both ecstatic about Lisa’s picnic suggestion. We never had that before.

The thing is, city parks are smaller than town parks because the city prefers wider roads rather than wider parks. Aside from that, I don’t think someone would want to spend their morning or afternoon in a park surrounded by noise and pollution, right?

“What should we bring?”

It’s the first question that both Jisoo and I blurted out after I spoke to Lisa.

Is there a particular food that we need to bring? Should we only bring cut fruits, sandwiches, or biscuits? What’s the typical food that a picnic goer brings whenever they go?

Ah! Why is it so difficult to decide?

“What are you two thinking?”

Jisoo and I both flinched at the sound of grandma’s voice. We didn’t notice she entered the kitchen door.

“We’re going to a picnic with Lisa. Hmm… what should we bring with us?”

She opened the fridge and pour her water bottle. She only spoke again after she finished pouring the container. 

“What do you mean, what should you bring with you?”

The fridge door is still open, and she hasn’t drunk her water yet. Her eyes are still fixed on something inside the fridge.

“You haven’t been to a picnic before?”

She’s now holding the fridge’s handle and slammed it forcefully. She grinned and walked towards us while drinking her water.

I nodded, embarrassed because we haven’t had a picnic before. Mom’s not into it, or maybe she is, it’s just she’s busy with work.

“Why don’t you two prepare yourself and I’ll prepare everything for you?”

Jisoo and I looked at each other. We couldn’t believe that grandma will do all the work for us.

“Are you sure, grandma?”

“Of course… I love picnics when I was your age.”

She laughed, and it rang around the kitchen. The memory of her past might have flashed in front of her, that’s why she suddenly became energetic.


“Go, go, go!”

We jumped off our sit, thankful that I have a grandma who supports us with everything. And when we’re about to exit the door, grandma spoke again.

I stopped and turned to her, left hand holding the door frame.

“I think I know where you’re going. Why don’t you wear your most comfortable shoes and jogger so you’re prepared with what awaits you?”

What awaits us? What’s that about?

*****


***LISA***


“Here we are!”

I pulled my car to an empty lot. It’s not a typical parking lot, though. They covered the ground with rocks instead of finishing it with concrete. And I hate how they cut each rock because it’s uneven. Some are small and some are big. What’s worse is, most of it is sharp, which might damage my tires. But who am I to complain. This place is at the bottom of the mountain, and they just matched the ground to its landscape.

“I thought we’re going to a park?”

Jisoo said. Bewildered with the vast lot that greeted us after I pulled the hand brake.

I scanned the parking and I am glad that there are only five cars in it. It means we’ll be able to enjoy our picnic today because fewer people are roaming around and less noise, too.

“Hmm… yeah. We need to trek. Thirty minutes… I think.”

Well, I’m not sure if it’s only thirty minutes since it’s been a while since my friends and I visited this park. All I know is it won’t take an hour to reach the top.

“What?”

Jisoo blurted out, cupping her face with both of her hands.

I was staring at her through my rearview mirror and judging by her tone, she doesn’t like it. She doesn’t like the idea of trekking for thirty minutes.

Should I now start the engine and exit the lot? My hands are still gripping the steering wheel and ready to kick the accelerator.

Jennie might have noticed my dilemma because she suddenly placed her hand on my forearm and let out a quick smile.

“Let’s do this.”

“Aren’t you going to consider my opinion about it?”

Jennie pulled her hand and rested it on her lap before she whirled to say something to Jisoo.

“Why don’t we give it a shot first, Jisoo? I don’t think we’ll lose something if we’ll try it, right? Besides, we haven’t done trekking before, so this is a fresh experience for us. Isn’t it exciting?”


I guess those words calm Jisoo down because she removed her hand from her cheeks and took a deep breath. But her shoulders are still down. I’m sure she still doesn’t like the idea of going.

“Fine. What choice do I have right now? It’s two against one.”

She opened the door and jumped out of the car. Not interested in the next words we’ll say.

“Sorry… I know… she’s a brat. But, she’s nice… sometimes.”

A crook let out from my face and shook my head. I have no problem with that, for as long as she’s not throwing her tantrum at me, I’ll be fine.

“I’m sorry if I didn’t mention that we need to trek when you called.”

“Well, I have no problem with that. Honestly, I would love to try it since I haven’t done that before.”

Then Jisoo knocked on Jennie’s window. She’s not in the mood for showing patience, so maybe it’s time for us to extend our patience with her. Besides, I’m guilty because I didn’t give them the full details of this picnic.

“Let’s go?”

“Yeah, we better be, or someone will break someone’s window.”

*****


***JENNIE***


The trekking wasn’t bad.

We walked on a wide concrete road for the first ten minutes, which made Jisoo forget how annoyed she was before she jumped out of the car.

Everything around is green and brown, from young to old trees, and short to tall ones. Honestly, I couldn’t explain how delighted I am with the view in front of me.

“This is nature!”

Jisoo exclaimed as she spread her arms to the air, as if inviting everyone to come and hug her.

She’s few feet ahead of us, while Lisa is matching my pace. Well, it’s uphill. I’m afraid I’ll trip myself if I’ll walk fast, so I keep my pace slow.

Then Jisoo suddenly stopped, which made me run towards her. Is there something wrong? It looks like a dead end.

Lisa grabbed my hand and held it tight.

“Follow the sign, Jisoo.”

Jisoo tilted her head towards Lisa and followed her gaze. Her eyes are pointing at the rectangular sign with an arrow pointing to a narrow trail. I didn’t spot it immediately. It’s too narrow and you wouldn’t notice that it’s a trekking trail because it’s surrounded by grasses.

“Is it safe?”

Jisoo said hesitantly.

Well, if I’m also in Jisoo’s shoes, I’ll feel the same thing. It’s too narrow, and the trees are almost holding each other. That’s how close they are… a bit suffocating.

“Why don’t we go back?”

I blurted out.

What am I thinking? Or maybe I’m not thinking at all, because it suddenly scared me.

Lisa squeezed my hand and whispered.

“It’s fine. There’s a paradise after that trail. I promise you. You’ll be fine. We’ll all be fine.”


I squeezed her hand back. I’m still uncertain and I know Jisoo, too.

“Okay… I’ll go first. You go next to me.”

She gazed at me with those warm eyes, which made me forget how scared I am in squeezing myself on that narrow trail.

Jisoo and I followed her. She’s still holding my hand tight. But even though she’s already holding me tight, I still grip her arm with my other hand. Just to make sure that our distance won’t be that far.

The entrance is just around two feet wide, and the branches are poking our skin from left to right. Thank God I listened to grandma and wore a jogger and sweater because if we didn’t we’re now filled with scratches all over our body. 

I could hear Jisoo complaining behind me, but it’s pure static because I’m also busy avoiding these sharp twigs below my hips.

Aside from that, my eyes were closed most of the time. I’m scared that a hand will grab me behind those trees and plants on our sides. So, I just gave my hundred percent trust to Lisa that she won’t put our life in danger.

“We’re almost there.”

I heard Lisa mumbled after twenty minutes of avoiding twigs and walking on that narrow trail.

I’m already sweating. First is because of the sweater and jogger I’m wearing. The second is because I’m not used to walking for that long. But everything washed out after we set our last step on the trail and made our first step on this paradise.

Lisa is indeed honest with what she said earlier. That there’s a paradise after this thirty-minute trek.

*****


***LISA***


I paused after we exited the tunnel. It’s been two years since I last set my feet on this place, and it’s more beautiful today than two years ago.

They fixed the roof of each cottage with the same material and painted it with a darker tone of brown, but the structure is still the same. A table in the middle, made of solid wood, and the seats also serve as its division from other cottages. It’s like a box with one side open. And this open side faces the view of this paradise.

“Wow!”

Jisoo exclaimed.

All this cursing and complaints she kept on shouting during our walk inside the tunnel are now long gone. It’s as if no twigs scratched her skin.

Well, I couldn’t blame her. This place now looks like a flower farm, and who would resist flowers?

“This is indeed paradise.”

Jennie whispered beside me. Both hands are still clasping my arm.


“I told you. Do you want the cottage or the grass? We can place our blankets there and enjoy the sun.”

“Blankets would be better, like those I watched on TVs and movies.”

I giggled. It’s indeed her first time to have a picnic.

Jisoo was already examining the bunch of flowers on the right side of the park when we walked towards the grass on the left.

Those flowers are in different colors. There are blue, yellow, carnation, red, and other colors that you can’t imagine that a flower would have.

“Why don’t you join Jisoo while I set up our food?”

“Hmm?”

She gazed at me.

“No… I’ll help you out. Besides, I’d rather walk with you.”

She beamed a smile.

That smile… that smile warms me better than the sun above us.

“Okay!”

*****


***JENNIE***


We spread our blanket under a young tree. It’s shorter than the others though, but it didn’t disappoint us. The limbs are long and the leaves are thick, which is a perfect shade for our wide picnic blanket.

“What do you have here?”

She placed the basket in the middle and sat down.

I shook my head while I join her beside the basket. Wondering what grandma prepared for us.

“Hmm…”

She opened it, and it greeted us with many plastic containers.

Lisa laughed before she picked up the top one.

“It’s a lot! Grandma’s the best!”

There are cookies, fruits, sandwiches, water, and juices. She even included chips and stuffed them in a plastic container. Even the plates and utensils are complete.

Lisa spread everything on our blanket. And, amazingly, grandma packed eight plastic containers of food. What’s more astonishing is, she only prepared it for just an hour. Now she’s a super grandma for me.

“What’s in your backpack?”

“Oh… yeah… thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot.”

She snatched it from her back and unzipped it. She pulled a huge plastic container and placed it in the middle of the small ones.

“Chicken Alfredo. Mom cooked before she drove to the airport earlier. Well, mom has a note in it. She said to share it with you, that’s why I brought it here.”

“She’s so thoughtful.”

“Well, it’s because she likes you.”

Our dinner with her mom suddenly flashed back into my memory. She knew my mom. But since mom always comes home late, I never get a chance to ask her about Julia… Julia Han. And now this curiosity is killing me again.

Are they just schoolmates or something? It looks like there is something else between them. Maybe they used to be best friends and fought about one guy? Or maybe school competition made them forget their friendship with each other? Who knows? But I still want to know.


I want to ask Lisa if her mom told her something about my mom, but this isn’t the right time for it, I guess. This place is so beautiful and breathtaking. It deserves our attention.

“Hey, guys! Come here!”

Jisoo was waving at us. She’s leaning on the fence, which I assume is the end of the park. Behind her are mountains with water around it. It’s so beautiful.

“Let’s take a picture!”

She shouted again.

Lisa stood up immediately and gave her hand to me.

“Let’s go? The weather is great, so… let’s enjoy this! We deserve lots of photos.”

She’s right! No more talking and sitting, so I grabbed her hand and ran with her.

*****


***LISA***


“You really know how to impress someone, huh?”

She muttered. Her back leaning against my chest, and my arms wrapped around her while we’re sitting on our picnic blanket.

We’re done eating our food, and I’m positive that everyone enjoyed every single thing grandma prepared for us. Even Jisoo is elated with it. Forgotten the dismay she had felt earlier.

“Hmm?”

I wonder what she meant about that. I never did something special yet, so why did she say that?

She pushed herself up and whirled so she could face me.

“Remember? You brought me to that wonderful gallery when we first met. And now, here.”

She scanned the whole park. From the flower farm to the mountain and water below it, and trees with different colors. I followed her eyes, and it brought joy in my heart, too.

I love the place and the person clinging to my arms. These are the things I would love to keep in my life right now.

“I’m glad you’re pleased with everything.”

I didn’t mean to impress her. That’s the truth. I only want to see her happy with the things that also make me happy. It’s just… I want to share everything with her. Even these simple things.

She squeezed herself back in my arms, but her eyes are still staring at mine intently.

“Are you two going to kiss? ‘Cause you know… I’m still here.”

I don’t know why, but both of us burst into laughter. I was thinking of kissing her, and it looks like she’s into it, too.

But good thing Jisoo spoke, because if she didn’t, we might end up kissing each other in front of her.


***TO BE CONTINUED***


Chapter 12     Chapter 14


No comments:

Post a Comment