Unexpected Love Chapter 5 - (A JenLisa FF Story)


Unexpected Love Chapter 5 - (A JenLisa FF Story)

***JENNIE***


I couldn’t take off the smile on my face even after we’re done seeing all the rooms in the gallery. It’s like a heaven for artists of any kind.

There are huge paintings and sculptures that I didn’t know would be possible to do.

All these people who contributed to that gallery are a gift from God for people like me who love to stare at beautiful things here on earth.

“What do you want to eat?”

She asked while we’re walking back to the parking lot.

Her voice brought me back to my senses. I’m not complaining though, since I could now feel the hunger that I’ve forgotten while we’re roaming around in that heavenly place.

I turned to her like a kid who’s excited for lunch.

“Pizza?”

She smiled.

“I was thinking the same thing. Well, I know a place here. Is it okay if we’ll walk? Just a five-minute walk, don’t worry.”

“No problem. Let’s go!”

I marched enthusiastically in the direction she pointed to me. And even though the sun is too hot for me to endure, I didn’t complain because this happiness is so overpowering.

The next thing I know is we’re already standing in front of the Pizzeria she suggested earlier.

She pulled the door for me, and we sat next to the glass wall so we could have the outside view. It’s so picturesque, and I won’t mind sitting there the whole day.

“We’ll have this and this. What do you think?”

She said as she pointed to the Hawaiian Pizza and Alfredo on the menu.

I nodded.

“Sure”.

“Anything else?”

The crew was waiting beside her, ready to write the next thing she’ll say.

“Do they have chicken soup?”

I asked.

I look back at the view outside and heard her asked the crew if they have my order.

I don’t know if she said yes or no because I didn’t hear her answer her question. She might have just nodded to it instead.

“You sure you’re good with our order?”

She pressed.

I turned my gaze back to her.

“Yeah.”

I smiled.

She shook her head, smiling.

“What?”

She stopped shaking her head and suppressed the smile she just recently showed. It’s so funny though.

“Nothing.”

I laughed. I think I know why she’s smiling like that.

“You think I’m crazy, right?”

“If honesty means a lot to you, I’d answer that with a ‘Yes’.”

Her smile is so wide, which made me smile back at her.

“Well, you’ve been wearing that smile for several hours now. So what do you want me to think about that? It feels strange. You know.”

Then she gave me a poker face for a second and laughed afterward.

“You know what I realized?”

I asked.

“What?”


I tried to put on my serious expression before I said my next words to her.

“I’m hating you, now.”

She paused and then laughed with me as I let go of my poker face.

The crew finally came back with our order and we took our first bite as soon as she walked back to the counter.

*****


***LISA***


“Hmm… this is heaven.”

I blurted out.

“I know! And I’m starving… for real.”

She said as she took the first bite of her pizza.

“Really? It looks like you’re not thinking about food earlier.”

I eyed her while twirling the pasta on my fork.

“I don’t know. I’m just so captivated by that place, so I forgot I need to fill my stomach.”

“Well, that place left me whipped, too, by its beauty.”

She put down her pizza on her plate.

“And thank you for bringing me there. I know, I already said my thank you to you earlier, but I want to say it again, and again. You do not know how happy I am right now.”

I believe her. The spark in her eyes says it all.

If you’re captivated by the beauty of that place, well, you captivated me with your beautiful smile.

Of course, I didn’t dare myself to say that, so I just keep it to myself. I just hope one day I could tell those words to her, but now, I’ll just enjoy this moment with her.

“Can we visit it again? When you’re not busy, of course.”

“Just let me know when, and I’ll free up my time. I always want to ditch the coffee shop, you know.”

“You sure? Because I won’t forget that.”

“Of course…”

For you…

*****


***JENNIE***


I think I’m more comfortable with her now than before. But is it okay to ask personal questions now?

“Hmm… So, how’s school?”

“Not bad… I think.”

She smirked.

“I’ll be a freshman next year. If that is what you’re asking. And you?”

“Oh… so I guess we’re at the same age. Incoming freshman, too.”

“Really? All this time I thought you’re younger than me.”

I straightened up.

“Well, I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“Such confidence, huh?”

She grinned.

I rolled my eyes, smiling.

“Who else would you think will compliment me aside from my mom?”

“Your boyfriend… maybe?”

I grabbed my glass of iced tea and took a sip before I answered her.

“Boyfriend… I have no boyfriend.”

I looked straight into her eyes. I don’t know why I did that. But I have this feeling that I wanted her to believe that I don’t have a boyfriend.

She nodded before she spoke again.

“Why? I mean… sorry… I know it’s odd to ask why because there’s no answer to that, right?”


I shrugged. She’s right. There’s no answer to that question.

“And you? I mean… you said…”

I don’t know how to say it, so I guess I heard myself stutter to that.

“I said… I’m not into guys?”

She asked without hesitation.

I pressed my lips and nodded on her question.

“I never had a boyfriend… not once… well, neither girlfriend.”

She stopped for a while to drink her water.

“I know, it’s weird to label myself that I’m not into guys if I haven’t had a girlfriend yet, right? But that doesn’t mean I’m not into girls.”

I’m not sure what to say. I never had a conversation like this before, and I’m afraid I’ll say something that will offend her. So I just sit there and listen to what she’s saying.

“Oh… sorry. Am I being too comfortable now, and you’re not comfortable with it?”

“No… that’s fine. I just… don’t know what to say.”

She smiled.

“Maybe… I’m just not into label…”

*****


***LISA***


I waved at her before I unlocked the door of my house. I even want to stay on the porch just to make sure she’s already inside their house before I enter mine.

She waved back at me, and I took it as a queue that I need to go inside.

Shit! I never had such an amazing day before.

Even though it wasn’t a date, I still want to call it a date. She won’t know if I won’t tell her, right? So maybe it’s okay to imagine it as a date without holding hands and a goodnight kiss.

I slumped on the couch and closed my eyes. Trying to recall every single moment we had. Even the conversation is great. Well, I could feel myself smiling at every picture that my head is flashing before me.

“A few more days and I’ll fall in love with you.”

I said under the darkness of our living room.

“And I’m getting lucky because you don’t have a boyfriend yet.”

My smile even gets wider with that premise.

Then my phone ring.

I kind of hate the fact that someone is ruining my fantasies about Jennie.

I pulled my phone inside my jacket’s pocket and saw Rose on the other line.

“Rose?”

Confused to see her name flash on my phone.

“Hey! Are you home?”

“Yeah, what’s up?”

“It’s V’s birthday today. You want to come?”

“Hmm… I don’t think so. I’m not invited.”

“Oh… don’t worry. He said every invite is free to bring someone with them. So… If you’re free, then I’ll pick you up.”

Well, I don’t think I have something to do aside from thinking about Jennie.

“Okay, I’ll go.”

“I’ll pick you up in 30 minutes.”

She hung the phone. And that only means I need to get up and change for the party.


I run to my room to change.

Well, I don’t want to overdo this. Just a simple shirt and that would be enough, right? So, I pulled a shirt and got changed.

I still have 20 minutes though, so I jumped to my bed and pulled my phone to check my Facebook.

What’s her full name again? Jennie Kim?

I typed her full name on the search bar and hit search.

Okay, there she is.

Hmm… I’m hesitant to click the add button, of course. But there’s no wrong if I’ll add her up, right? We’re already comfortable with each other, so what exactly are you waiting for, Lisa? Add her!

I slowly hit the add button and throw my phone on top of my pillow.

I’m not good at waiting.

*****


***JENNIE***


“Mom… Grandma… I’m home.”

I shouted as I enter the door.

Grandma was sitting in the living room watching TV. She turned to say hi to me.

“Have you had your dinner already?”

I walked towards her, wrapped my right arm around her shoulders, and kissed the top of her head before I answered her question.

“Yes, grandma. Where’s mom?”

“She’s in the kitchen, baby.”

“I’ll inform her I’m here now.”

I straightened up and walk to the kitchen.

Mom’s sitting at the dining table, and I don’t think she’s okay.

“Mom… what’s wrong?”

I almost whispered, so grandma won’t hear what I’ve said.

She looked up and signaled me to sit on the opposite chair.

“How’s your day, honey? Did you enjoy the gallery?”

I wanted to tell her everything enthusiastically, but I’m not sure if this is the right time for that since I could see from her expression that there’s something wrong.

“I’ve had a great day mom, but tell me, is there something wrong? I know you, mom. You can’t hide something from me.”

She nodded. I guess she knows she has no choice but to tell me what’s going on.

“I don’t think we’ll be able to come back to the city next month.”

“What? Why?”

I want to say it louder than when I approached her, but that won’t work. That might signal grandma that something is going on here in the kitchen. So I tried to control my voice as much as possible.

“I know, honey, it’s disappointing. But I don’t have a choice. I can’t leave your grandma here all alone.”

“Mom… what’s wrong with grandma? Did the doctor say something that we should worry about?”

“She’s having a panic attack, honey. Every time she’s alone, she feels lonely, too, and that triggers her heart to malfunction.”

It sounds bad. And from the way mom said it, it feels so bad. I could see that tears are about to jump off from her eyes, so I immediately grab her hand to caress her.


“Then we’ll stay mom.”

I assured her that everything is okay with me.

“The doctor said that we don’t need to be at home 24/7. What your grandma needs is to know that there is someone who will come home with her.”

“How long has this been happening to grandma?”

“It started last month. I met the doctor back then, and he just confirmed today that it’s getting worse.”

She uttered as she tightens her grip on my hand.

I stood up to hug mom.

“Grandma will be okay, mom. We won’t leave her until she’s okay.”

*****


***LISA***


“Why on earth V didn’t invite me? I need to talk to him!”

I blurted out as Rose and I enter his front door.

He’s this Mr. Popular in school, and I understand why this place is full of kids from school this early.

He saw me and Rosie squeeze ourselves from the thick drinking kids in his living room.

“Hey!”

He raised his drinks towards us.

“Hey, you!”

I said together with my left eyebrow up.

“Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What’s up with that? Should you greet me happy birthday first?”

I squint at him.

“You didn’t invite me!”

“Whoa! Really? I didn’t? But you’re here.”

He gave me a confused stare.

“Rosie brought me here!”

He turned his gaze to Rosie and smiled.

“Thank you for bringing this chipmunk at my party.”

I hit him on his right arm, and he laughed.

“You two enjoy the party, okay?”

I smiled, and he heads in the opposite direction.

I saw Tom in the corner, dancing with a cup of beer in his right hand.

Rosie might have seen me eyeing Tom, so she tapped me on my elbow.

“I’ll get us something to drink.”

“All right.”

*****


***JENNIE***


I’m lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling while waiting for Jisoo to answer my call.

Geez! Jisoo, when I need to talk to you, you’re not answering.

It took me 4 dials before she answered the call.

“Jennie! You finally remember me!”

I rolled my eyes. Now it looks like I’m the one not talking.

“Why aren’t you answering? Busy?”

“Well, as far as I know, it’s still dinner time.”

Okay, she’s right. I’ll let that go.

“So, what’s with the persistent call?”

“We’re staying here indefinitely.”

I said flatly.

“You mean, for good?”

“If that’s how you understand it, yeah, that’s right.”

“Why?”

“Grandma needs us here.”

I don’t want to elaborate on her condition. I’ll keep that for our family, only.

“You know, when you get old, you feel alone and lonely. And that thing has a tremendous impact on her health.”

“Hmm… I’m sorry to hear that Jennie.”

We paused. Maybe both of us don’t know what else to say.


“So… does that mean… we won’t see each other that much then?”

“I could still visit you there, or you could spend weekends with us here. That is, if you want to drive four hours just to see me.”

I smirked. Well, that’s the best option I could give her, and I know how she hates long drive.

“Why not! At least I have a reason to get out of the house, and to visit grandma, too. Two birds in one stone. What do you think?”

“Wow, that’s new, Jisoo.”

It surprised me to hear Jisoo didn’t complain about the long drive.

“Well, if that means seeing my best friend, why not? Right?”

“Ah! You really love me!”

I’m moved with what she said.

The thing is, I’m willing to do everything for her, too. We’ve been best friends since grade school. We even think that we’re sisters in our past life.

“Well, I have other things to tell you.”

Why does it sound like I’m going to tell her a story that will shock her?

“What’s that? I’m waiting.”

“It’s just… We visited this wonderful gallery earlier… and I want to show it to you. I’m sure you’ll fall in love with it, too.”

“We? Who’s we?”

She pressed.

“Oh… I met this girl in the neighborhood, and grandma knows her well. So, they ask her to tour me around.”

“That’s nice! At least, you have a new friend now. It won’t be bothersome for you to stay there.”

She’s right. It kind of made me feel welcome now.

“She’s nice and smart, and I think you’ll get along with her, too.”

“Whoa! That sounds different, girl.”

I could feel her eyebrows went up with her tone.

Different? What does she mean about that? I don’t think I said something different.

“Different? What do you mean?”

She laughed.

“The way you said it. It feels… strange.”

“What?”

“Hey, I got to go. Mom’s here. I’ll call you… maybe tomorrow. Okay?”

“Sure, bye!”

“Bye!”

And we hung up.

Is there really something odd with the way I said it?

*****


***LISA***


“You’re here. I thought you have something to do today?”

Tom’s bewildered about my existence to the party. Maybe he’s not expecting to see me here.

“Yeah, but Rosie called and asked me if I could come with her.”

He gave me that teasing look he always gives whenever he wanted to diss me.

“What about?”

I responded to the look he’s giving me.

“You two are getting along, huh? Liking her?”

“Like her? No!”

I blurted out.

It’s true that I don’t, though.

Rosie is one of the prettiest girls in school, but that doesn’t mean I want to hold her hands whenever we’re together. She’s like a sister to me. But sometimes she warms me with her simple touch. Maybe it’s normal?


“No? But she likes you, you know.”

He said while dancing to the music flooding in the entire room.

I don’t think he’s making up a story because I know Tom when he’s serious. He’ll say it without looking into your eyes. That’s how he is, and he just said that statement without meeting my eyes.

“I don’t think she’s like that. I don’t think she likes me, you know.”

Then he turned to face me.

“Are you blind?”

He shook his head, surprised by what I’ve just said.

“That’s how blind are you, huh? Would you think she’ll call you and ask you to come with her with nothing? Or save your ass with whatever shit you have in the coffee shop?”

“I don’t… I don’t see it that way…”

“You don’t see a lot of things. That’s all I know.”

“Why do you keep on offending me, huh?”

He laughed. And even though the vibration of his laugh is so loud, it doesn’t pierce that much because the music is louder than him.

“You don’t like me… you don’t like her… does that mean you don’t have the capability of liking someone?”

“I like someone…”

Oops! Did I just admit that I like someone? And did I just let it slip from my mouth?

He stopped dancing.

“You like someone?”

I avoided his eyes and didn’t say another word. But to answer his question, I nodded to it.

“Hey!”

Rosie shouted as she approached us.

“Here’s your drink.”

She handed me a red cup full of beer.

Tom lowered his head and whispered in my ear.

“We’ll talk later.”

*****


***JENNIE***


Now I’m more bothered with what Jisoo said than what’s going on with my grandma.

“Stop thinking about it, Jennie.”

To calm myself from thinking about a lot of things, I picked up my phone on the bedside table to check my Facebook.

One friend request notification? Who is this?

I sat up as soon as I read Lisa’s name on it. I clicked the accept button without thinking twice.

Well, at least I could check her profile now.

Oh… so this is her best friend, Tom? He’s cute, huh.

I keep on browsing her profile but seen nothing about her family. Now I wonder if she’s living alone or what.

She said nothing about them either earlier.

I stood up and walked towards the window. Is she still awake or not?

Everything is black inside their house, so maybe she’s already asleep or something.

Before I turn my back to the window, a car pulled in front of their house. It stops me for a second.

Who might that be?

The door opened, and Lisa jumped from it.

So, she went out after we separated?

Why does it suddenly change my mood?


***TO BE CONTINUED***


Chapter 4       Chapter 6


No comments:

Post a Comment