Unexpected Love Chapter 10 - (A JenLisa FF Story)


Unexpected Love Chapter 10 - (A JenLisa FF Story)

***LISA***


I was in the kitchen drinking a glass of water when I heard someone opened the main door.

“Sweetheart?”

I think she’s in the living room when she called me.

“Mom, I’m here in the kitchen.”

I shouted while I set my glass on the sink.

“You just woke up?”

She’s already leaning on the door frame when I turned around.

“Yeah… you want me to get you something?”

“I’m fine, sweetheart. So, where do you want to eat later?”

Well, I have nothing in mind right now. My neurons aren’t functioning yet. So I’m not sure if my suggestion will be the best one.

“Why don’t we go to your resto mom, so Jennie could try the food there?”

“Oh… I thought Jennie won’t go with us?”

She straightened up when I reached the door, and we walked towards the living room side by side.

“She changed her mind after you left.”

“Well, that’s good news, right?”

She clasped her hands on her chest happily.

“Indeed!”

“So, how do I look? Do you like my new hair?”

She flipped it to better emphasize its volume and color.

“Mom, should I be the one to worry about my looks for tonight, rather than you?”

She shoved my right arm.

“I just don’t want Jennie to have a wrong impression about me. I want her to think ‘Lisa’s mom is cool’, and that’s a plus point for you, sweetheart. Can’t you see? I’m giving you a favor.”

It seems like both of them are trying to avoid this ‘bad impression thing’, huh? Well, who am I to complain? At least now I know mom is there to support me no matter what, right?

“I love you, mom!” are the only words that came out of my mouth.

She smiled before she pulled me for a hug.

“I love you, too, sweetheart.”

*****


***JENNIE***


“What do you think?”

I raised an army green laced top. I’m thinking of pairing it with my black skinny jeans.

Jisoo shook her head.

“Not into it. Next.”

It’s the fifth dress I showed her, but it looks like she likes nothing in my closet.

“What exactly do you want me to wear? I’ve shown you almost my entire closet and you keep on saying next.”

“Something that will impress your future mother-in-law.”

I sighed.

“Do I really need to impress her?”

I muttered.

She pulled herself up and sat on the edge of my bed.

“Are you nervous?”

She said sympathetically.

“Yeah… Though we’ve already met last night. It still feels like I’ll meet her for the first time.”

I sighed again while I put back the laced top in the closet.


“Why don’t you sit and I’ll do the job for you?”

“Okay.”

We switched places since she has a better fashion sense than I am.

I don’t know why I need to do this. I’m not her girlfriend or something, and we just met a week ago. Why do I need to have dinner with her mom?

Why did you even say yes to her offer, Jennie? You have a choice to say no. Oh… remember you already rejected the invitation, but then changed it? Now, you’re acting like this is a punishment to you?

“I think this is perfect for this occasion.”

Jisoo pulled a red dress from the closet and hung it in front of her.

“This is it!”

The thing is, I won’t say no to that because that dress in her hand is my favorite one. It hangs above my knees, and I feel confident whenever I wear it. Well, it’s because mom always says I’m prettier on that one.

“Great!”

I stood up to get it in her hand and tried it in front of the mirror.

*****


***LISA***


“Mom? Are you not yet done?”

I shouted at the bottom of the stairs.

“I’m coming, sweetheart!”

She shouted back.

I pulled my phone to check if Jennie’s ready because if she is, I don’t want her to wait that long.

Her phone rang, and she answered immediately.

“Hi! I’m already on my way. I’ll meet you on your porch. Sorry… are you all ready?”

I wanted to interrupt her, but she was talking so fast and I don’t know when and how to butt in. So instead of interrupting her, I just waited for her to finish her speech before I spoke again.

“Oh… No, no. Mom’s not done yet? You can take your time. Also…”

I paused for a second.

“Can you just wait for me on your porch?”

Oops! Is it okay to pick her up in front of their house, instead of waiting for her to knock on our door? Maybe, yes? Because I invited her, right?

Did she stop walking? Because the sound of her footsteps stopped.

“Hmm… okay. I’ll wait for you here.”

Then we hung up.

I picked up my jacket from the couch and headed to the front door.

She’s already waiting on their porch when I passed our front yard. She was looking down. Maybe she’s checking her toes or something. Her hair’s pulled up with a few strands dangling from her face.

She looked up and met my eyes after I crossed the street and walked towards their porch. I like her red dress. She looked prettier with it than on the other days I’ve seen her.


She seconded her gaze with a smile… and that smile… as always… melts my heart.

“Hey!”

She said as she walks down their porch to meet me in the middle of their front yard.

My lips… I couldn’t control it… because it smiled as soon as she walks towards me.

“Hey!”

We stood there for a minute, just staring and smiling at each other. No words are coming out, and I don’t think words are necessary for this moment.

“Hmm… I—I think your mom is already waiting for us.”

She pointed at our porch, and I saw mom looking at us—smiling.

“After you?”

I moved to my side so she could pass, then I walked beside her.

“You’re prettier on that dress.”

I muttered. Afraid that she’ll take it differently, but she deserves to hear it.

“Thank you.”

She replied, almost whispering.

“I actually don’t know what to wear. Do you think I’m overdressed?”

“Overdressed?”

I tilted my head towards her.

“I don’t think so…”

Well, for as long as you look good, I don’t mind you overdressing. I want to add, but dropped it, instead.

“Hello, Jennie!”

Mom greeted her with her soft voice.

“Hello…”

I think she’s still hesitant to call my mom by name.

“Julia… remember I asked you to call me Julia?”

“But it feels odd to just call you by name.”

She uttered.

“That’s fine. I want us to feel comfortable with each other.”

Mom ended her premise with a wink.

*****


***JENNIE***


“Hello, ma’am!”

The lady who seemed to be the manager of this fancy restaurant greeted us with a broad smile.

“Hello. Table for three, please.”

“This way, ma’am.”

We followed her to a table facing the entire town. The view there is breathtaking. It’s like you’re staring at the city lights, but a smaller version.

Lisa let me sit near the glass wall for a better view. She even pulled the chair for me. It feels odd, though, but it feels good at the same time. Maybe I’ll stick with the good part and forget the odd one.

The lady spoke again after we sat.

“We didn’t receive a call that you’ll visit us today, ma’am.”

Lisa leaned towards me so she could whisper in my ear.

“Mom owns this place, that’s why the manager is confused with her appearance without informing them.”

I turned my head towards her—surprised, but she’s already fixing the table napkin in her lap.

I want to ask, ‘Is this how rich your mom?’. But I stopped myself. There’s no point in asking that because this place already speaks it all.

Then I gazed at this young lady again, and Lisa’s mom.


“Well, I’m not here for business. I’m just here to eat with my daughter and her friend.”

She spoke with elegance and conviction. This isn’t how I heard her last night, and before we sit at this table. She’s way too different from how she spoke to me.

The young lady nodded and smiled. It seems like she’s embarrassed by the words she said to Julia.

“I’m sorry, ma’am.”

Then she beckoned the server to come to our table to assist us. The server handed us the menus, and I pretended I know the things listed on it.

Lisa might have noticed that I’m not sure what to get on the list because I heard her clear her throat.

“Why don’t you order for us mom? I know nothing on this menu.”

“Oh… sure, sweetheart.”

Then the server came back, ready to get Julia’s order.

I put down the menu on the table and searched for Lisa’s eyes. I want to say thank you because I honestly don’t know what to get.

She leaned closer again and whispered something.

“Sorry… I know… this place is too fancy for us. You can count in your fingers the times I’ve been here. And just to warn you, the food isn’t great.”

Then we heard someone cleared her throat. It’s her mom.

“You think I can’t hear you, sweetheart?”

She raised her eyebrows and drinks her water.

“Don’t listen to her. She’s still young. That’s why she doesn’t appreciate fancy food yet. Besides, she prefers fast food to actual food… like this.”

“Mom!”

“Fine! By the way, you’re so gorgeous tonight, Jennie. I super love your red dress.”

Oh, my gosh! Am I turning red? My cheeks feel so warm.

“Thank you, Julia. It’s my favorite dress.”

“What a coincidence? I’m also wearing my favorite one.”

She’s wearing an olive above-the-knee dress. And when I saw her earlier, I want to say that I super love it. That it fits her perfectly. Aside from that, she also looks young in that dress.

“You look so young on that one.”

“Really? I think I need to wear this more often and treat you again to dinner.”

*****


***LISA***


I’m not sure what’s going on, but it feels like these two ladies are avoiding me. They’re talking as if I’m not around.

I cleared my throat.

“Do I need to request a new table for myself?”

They stopped talking and eyed me in unison.

“We’re having a friendly conversation here, sweetheart. Isn’t it rude to interrupt people talking?”

I rolled my eyes, and I heard Jennie giggled at what mom said. I eyed her, and she pressed her lips to suppress her laugh.


“I’m sorry, honey. Sometimes my daughter is so melodramatic. Though as you can see, she’s avoiding too much drama.”

“Mom? Why are you like this? You promised you won’t embarrass me again.”

“Oops! Sorry sweetheart.”

She beamed another smile.

“Well, aren’t you happy that Jennie and I like each other? I think I want her to be my second daughter.”

She smirked.

This is another unbelievable moment with my mom. Thank God she didn’t say ‘daughter-in-law’ because if she did, I’d shrink where I’m sitting right now.

Her gaze went back to Jennie.

“So, you’re living in our neighborhood, right?”

“Yes… just across the street.”

“You mean…”

“She’s grandma’s granddaughter.”

I interrupted. My point in butting in is I want to be part of this conversation, rather than just a wallflower.

Mom shifted from being a playful conversationalist to a serious one. I wonder what happened to her. Or if there’s something wrong with what I’ve said, then what was it?

“What’s your mother’s name?”

Jennie answered after she drank her wine.

“Reena… Reena Kim.”

“Do you know her, mom?”

I asked because I’m so curious why it changed her mood. It took her a minute before she answered my question. I could feel that Jennie is also waiting for her response.

“Well, we went to the same school. She might not remember me anymore. But in case you have time to tell her you met me, tell her it’s Julia… Julia Han.”

I tilted my head to see Jennie’s reaction. She only nodded at my mom’s words. Maybe, just like me, she also doesn’t buy what my mom said.

*****


***JENNIE***


We drove back to our houses right after dinner. I don’t know why, but the atmosphere became awkward after I mentioned my mom’s name to Julia. Do they have a not-so-good past together?

“Why don’t you two go inside first and have coffee? What do you think, Jennie? I have the best bartender in the house, in case you don’t know.”

I smiled at her last premise because she’s right. Lisa is so great at making coffee.

“Sure… no problem with me.”

The thing is, it’s hard to say no to a cup of coffee.

We went inside and before Julia climb the stairs she asked Lisa to just wait for me in the kitchen because she has something to say to me.

“Honey…”

She said as soon as Lisa disappeared in our sight.

“May I ask a favor from you?”

“Hmm… what’s that?”

I mumbled.

“I know… you just met my daughter a few days ago. But I have this feeling that you’ll be friends for a long time, and I’m hoping you could take care of her. It’s a big favor to ask, but…”


She paused, still looking straight into my eyes.

“But can you not let my daughter cry?”

I don’t know what she meant about that, but there’s something inside me that wants to tell her I also want to see her daughter happy, instead of feeling lonely and sad.

“I’ll try my best to cheer her up.”

She grabbed my hand and smiled before she spoke again.

“I know now why I like you so much, honey.”

She squeezed my hand before she said good night.

*****


***LISA***


I’m still making our coffee when Jennie entered the kitchen. I wonder what mom told her. I’m just hoping that it’s not as embarrassing as I thought it is.

“Almost ready.”

I said after she took her seat.

“Wow! You really have a talent for making coffee, huh? It smells so good!”

“Well, it’s because I’m an exemplary student.”

I said while I walk towards the table with the cup of coffee in my hands.

“So, what did mom say to you? Or is it a secret?”

I placed her coffee in front of her before I sat opposite her.

“Hmm… it’s a top-secret!”

She smiled, and I guess I don’t have a choice but to accept that.

“Well, instead of us talking about what your mom said to me, why don’t you just give me this opportunity to thank you for tonight? I mean… I enjoyed your mom’s company. Honestly, it was awkward at first because I never had dinner with someone’s mom before. But your mom is so cool that I can’t help but enjoy having a conversation with her. And you two have an amazing bonding. To the point that you could tease each other and just laugh with it afterward. It feels like we’ve known each other for so long, and that made me feel so welcomed.”

“Thank you, too. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed my mom’s company. Well, the thing is, she likes you so much.”

I shook my head and smiled.

“I like her, too.”

She smiled back at me.

I think this is the right time for me to say everything I want to say. No more holding back.

“Jennie… can I also take this opportunity to tell you something? To tell you how much I like you? I mean… I know I’ve already told you that, but… I took it back because I don’t want you to stay away from me. But maybe this time, I’ll take a risk. I like you, and if you want to stay away from me, I won’t stop you. I’ll respect your decision… and your choice.”

I’m not sure if it’s the right words to say. All I know is I need to let this out. I need to tell her what I feel because I no longer want to have these what-ifs in my head.


“What’s your plan about this?”

“What’s my plan?”

“Yeah… your plan. I bet you’re telling me this because you have something in mind, right?”

“I don’t have a plan…”

I paused and sip my coffee. I saw her forehead creased.

“I mean… I just want you to allow me to express it to you. You know… pulling your chair, opening the door for you, walking you to your porch… and other slight gestures I could do so you could feel that you’re special to me.”

Her eyes never left mine, and that stare makes me want to run to the sink and vomit. I could feel my internal organs are swirling inside. This is nerve-wracking.

“Okay…”

With all the words I’ve said, her only response was okay? What does it mean?

“Okay? What do you mean?”

“Okay… I’m letting you do that. I guess it’s unfair to ask you to stop.”

She smiled while she’s cupping the coffee in her hands.

Is she giving me hope? Does this mean it’s possible for her to like me, too?

“But… can you not expect something from me? I mean… what if I won’t fall for you? Will you get mad at me?”

“Of course not. I have no reason to get mad at you. You can’t force me to unlike you, and I know I can’t force you to like me, too. And you sitting in front of me right now is already enough.”

*****


***JENNIE***


It wasn’t the conversation I’m expecting, but hearing her confess what she feels gives me a lot of reasons to like her more. But I’m not ready to tell her yet. I’m still not 100% sure about it.

“Do you think they’re still awake?”

She said after she locked their door.

“I don’t think so. All the lights are off.”

“Okay… sorry for holding you that long.”

“That’s fine. I enjoyed our conversation, anyway.”

“Well, I had a splendid night, too. Both in the resto and the kitchen.”

Her arms slightly brushed on mine while we walked to my grandma’s front yard. It made me smile, though. I don’t know why this simple touch makes me warm.

I stopped before stepping on the first step of the porch.

“So… see you tomorrow?”

She nodded.

“Yeah… see you tomorrow.”

Then she turned her back on me, but I didn’t make my first step towards the porch, yet. Instead, I called her name.

“Lisa?”

She turned around.

“Hmm?”

I walked towards her. Held my breath and kissed her on her right cheek.

“Good night!”

I whispered.


***TO BE CONTINUED***


Chapter 9       Chapter 11


No comments:

Post a Comment