Unexpected Love Chapter 9 - (A JenLisa FF Story)


Unexpected Love Chapter 9 - (A JenLisa FF Story)

***LISA***


I jogged for about half an hour, but I’m not sure why I didn’t get tired. Maybe because my heart is ecstatic about what happened last night—had a movie with her and seeing my mom again after several weeks of being away from home.

I heard someone frying something in the kitchen as I approached the living room. It immediately put a smile on my face. This is what I want. Go home with a mom who cooks for me, whether it’s breakfast or dinner.

I didn’t walk. I ran, instead.

I only slowed down when I reached the door frame and then greeted her with a broad smile.

“Good morning, mom!”

“Oh, sweetheart, you’re here already?”

I walked towards her and sat on the chair opposite where she’s standing.

“You saw me went outside?”

She turned her back on me to transfer the egg from the frying pan to the plate in her hand.

“Well, I didn’t. I just assumed you’re no longer in bed because I heard someone opened your door.”

So, she’s already awake when I went out? Then she might have thought it will make me happy to eat breakfast with her?

“And you thought to surprise me with breakfast?”

She returned to the table with the plate of eggs and bacon in her hand.

“Are you even surprised by this?”

She smiled while placing the plate in the middle of the table.

“Not really.”

Then I picked up a strip of bacon with my hand.

“Of course, it did, mom. Every day, I’m wishing that you’re here making breakfast for me…”

I paused.

“And dad, too.”

Mom tucked herself into the chair opposite mine and sighed.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. I know… these being away from home is difficult for you.”

“Mom, I’m fine…”

I interrupted her because I don’t want her to feel guilty about leaving me all the time.

“I mean… No need for you to apologize because I understand everything. It’s just… I miss going home with someone cooking for me. I just hope you and dad at least come home more often.”

But I guess it won’t happen because their life is at its peak right now. And I don’t think someone wants to drop everything just to be with me.

She nodded, but I could feel how this situation is making her feel sad. Well, I don’t want her to choose between me and her job because that means giving her dreams up, and I don’t think I can live with it.

“Can we just eat mom? It’s still early, you know? So, let’s not ruin our day with this melodramatic scene that we only see on TV.”


“Why don’t you cut your TV time, sweetheart?”

She squinted at me.

“You don’t want a melodramatic scene? Why don’t we talk about your friend? Her name is Jennie, right?”

Instead of saying something, I just continued to eat the egg on my plate.

“So, you like her?”

I met her eyes.

“Mom! Do you think it’s easy for a daughter to tell her mom she likes a girl?”

She laughed.

“Why not? I’m your mom, I know everything about you before you even know it.”

I shook my head. I couldn’t believe my mom anymore.

“Yeah, yeah! I like her. You okay with it now, mom?”

She beamed a smile.

“I knew it! Well, I like her, too!”

She said still looking at me while wearing her broad smile.

“You’re unbelievable, mom.”

“Why? You don’t like me being a supportive mom to you?”

“Not that mom. You didn’t even realize how you embarrassed me last night? In front of her?”

She laughed.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. I didn’t mean that. I thought she’s your girlfriend because you never brought someone in this house.”

“Mom, not because I brought someone in this house, doesn’t mean they’re my girlfriends. Okay?”

“Okay! Okay! I won’t assume anymore. But, tell me something about you two.”

She moved closer to me, and then I sighed.

“We’re just friends. She doesn’t like me. It’s not what you think it is, mom.”

Her forehead creased.

“Really? She doesn’t like you? Why was she even here watching your favorite movie last night?”

Oh… that made me think for a minute. Mom is right. But is it okay to put malice on it? Well, if you think about it, she was the one who invited me to that movie night, right?

Mom might have seen the confusion on my face.

“Why don’t you invite her for dinner tonight? I’ll treat you two somewhere.”

She took a sip of her coffee before she spoke again.

“I want to know her more.”

“Why?”

“Why not? Who knows? She might become part of our Christmas Eve starting this year.”

I suppressed my smile. I don’t want mom to see that she’s winning this conversation.

But the thought of it created butterflies in my stomach… and I like it.

“I can’t promise anything, mom. I’m not sure if she’ll say yes. But, I’ll try.”

“Try harder, sweetheart. Try harder…”

*****


***JENNIE***


Grandma was already in her usual spot when I arrived in the living room with a bag of potato chips in my hand.

“Lisa’s mom is here, grandma.”

I said casually.

Grandma shifted her eyes to me.

“Really?”

“Yeah. She arrived last night.”


I sat in the middle of the couch so I could lie after I finish my potato chips.

“That’s nice. I bet Lisa is so delighted right now.”

“Ecstatic!”

I blurted out, and grandma laughed.

“What do you think about her?”

“She’s nice… and pretty, too.”

She nodded.

“Have you noticed? Lisa’s personality came from her mom?”

That made me think for a minute. She’s right. They’re both bubbly.

“I think you’re right, grandma. They’re both cool and nice.”

“Indeed! Well, the only thing I don’t like about her is… she’s too ambitious, which made her neglects her daughter. Lisa is still young and needs a mom or dad to guide her with everything she does. But they’re not there for her.”

That made me realized that being a parent is a tough job.

You wish to give your kids a bright future? But that only means neglecting them because you don’t have enough time to spend together.

“I just wish she realized that being a parent is not only giving them what they need. Because what kids need is attention… and time.”

Grandma is right with everything she said, but I’m not in the position to say something. I’m not a parent yet. Besides, I think Lisa is close to her mom even though she’s away from home most of the time.

Someone pressed the doorbell, and it startled me for a second.

“Do you expect someone today, grandma?”

She’s confused as I am.

“Not that I know of, baby.”

The doorbell rang again.

“Hmm… I’ll get it.”

I stood up to see who’s behind the door.

“Coming!”

I answered after the third bell.

“Oh, my gosh!”

I blurted out when I opened the door.

“Jennie!”

It’s Jisoo standing on the porch, and I couldn’t believe that she’s already here shouting my name.

We both jump in each other’s arms without wasting a second of our time.

I hugged her tight, and she did the same thing to me.

“I miss you.”

I whispered in her ear. Tears are about to fall on my cheeks. Well, it’s because I couldn’t contain my happiness.

“I miss you, too!”

I disengaged myself from her arms so I could tap my cheeks with my hands. I did it several times just to make sure I’m not dreaming.

She laughed.

“You’re not dreaming. I’m here. This is real!”

“We just talked yesterday, and you didn’t mention you’re coming. You just said that you’ll see me soon.”

“Did you forget I told you I will surprise you one of these days? What’s the point of my surprise if I’ll tell you the exact day I’m coming?”


I rolled my eyes in disbelief, and she laughed.

“Aren’t you going to invite me inside?”

“Well, I guess I don’t have a choice, right?”

She grinned, and then I led her to the living room to introduce her to my grandma.

“Grandma…”

I called, and grandma tilted her head in our direction.

“This is Jisoo, my best friend. You already met her several times in our house.”

Jisoo moved forward to get closer to where grandma was sitting.

“Hello, grandma. I hope you still remember me.”

“Of course, I remember you.”

Grandma smiled and stood up to give her a welcome hug.

“Welcome to our house.”

“Thank you, grandma… Well, I have a question.”

“What’s that?”

“Is it okay if I’ll stay here for several days, grandma?”

“Several days? No problem, darling. You can stay here for as long as want. Treat my home as your home, too.”

Jisoo turned to where I’m standing and smiled.

*****


***LISA***


I noticed a car parked in front of grandma’s house as I passed their front yard.

Do they have a visitor?

I pressed the doorbell twice and heard Jennie’s voice muttering something along with the footsteps towards the door.

“Hey!”

She said, smiling at me.

“Hey!”

I unconsciously looked at the car, and she answered me immediately.

“Oh… my best friend is here. She finally had time to visit me.”

I nodded, at least I no longer need to ask who it is.

“That’s nice. I bet you two miss each other so much.”

She grinned before she replied.

“You have no idea. We have lots of catching up to do.”

I could feel from the sound of her voice how glad she is to see her best friend again.

And I couldn’t help myself but smile with her happiness.

“Anyway, what’s that?”

She pointed at the box I’m holding with both hands.

“Oh… yeah. Mom’s present to grandma. I’m not sure what’s inside, though. I think it’s her thank you gift for feeding me every time mom is away.”

She giggled.

“Do you want to go inside and give it to grandma?”

“I want to, but can you just give it to her? I need to go to the coffee shop now.”

I handed her the presents.

“Okay, no problem.”

“By the way…”

I was kind of hesitant. I’m not sure how to say it, but I’ll say it, anyway. Mom is expecting me to do it.

“Mom invites you for dinner later. I mean… she wants you to join us later so she could properly introduce herself to you. That is, if you’re free tonight.”

Her forehead creased.


She’s having dilemma if she’ll say yes or no to my offer. I couldn’t really tell. Then someone opened the door before she answered my question.

“Hello.”

The girl who opened the door greeted me with a broad smile. She might be Jennie’s best friend.

“Hi!”

I answered without thinking twice.

“I think I know who you are.”

She knows who I am? How does that happen?

Jennie elbowed her in her side, and she winced with it.

“Hmm… This is Jisoo. She’s the one I’m talking about earlier. Jisoo, this is Lisa. She’s living…”

“Hello, Lisa.”

She gave me her right hand, and I took it to shake her hand.

I’m not sure if she’s giggling or just smiling.

“H-hi! Nice to meet you.”

Jennie brushed Jisoo’s hand on mine, and Jisoo couldn’t help but stare at her with her left brow up.

“Why don’t you wait for me inside?”

“Fine!”

It’s funny to see how Jisoo rolled her eyes before she got back to me.

“Nice to meet you, too, Lisa. Hope to see you again.”

I smiled back at her before I answered.

“Hope to see you again, too.”

Then she went inside singing.

“Sorry about that.”

“About what?”

I’m confused about why she’s saying sorry.

“Never mind. Anyway, with your invitation for tonight? I don’t think I can go with you and your mom. It’s because Jisoo is here. I need to stay to accommodate her.”

Her answer saddened me, but I don’t have a choice. So I just nodded and pretended that everything is okay.

“Okay… I guess I have to leave now? My shift will start in 30 minutes.”

“Oh… sorry for holding you up.”

“No worries… I’ll go now.”

*****


***JENNIE***


I’m lying on my back on the bed while Jisoo is standing in the window checking out Lisa’s room.

“I think I know now why this Lisa is confusing you.”

I didn’t answer because I have nothing to say.

She turned around and walked towards the bed. She sat at the edge, looking at me.

“You know what?”

“What?”

“She’s too pretty for you. I think it’s unfair for her if you two will end up together.”

I threw a pillow at her face.

I couldn’t believe she said that.

“What? I’m right, right?”

“Of course, not! It’s more of… she won a lottery if she’ll have me in her life.”

“Wow! The audacity, girl!”

I rolled my eyes before I pulled myself to my side.

“So, does this mean you’re now admitting that you like her?”


“It’s hard to tell, but I couldn’t stop thinking about her. It’s like… when I wake up in the morning, I’m hoping that I’ll see her name on my phone. Or she’ll knock on the door and ask me for breakfast.”

I sighed.

“I think you like her already.”

She fixed the pillow I threw to her and lay beside me.

“If only she didn’t give me that note.”

I muttered.

“Wait! What note?”

Her eyes widen in surprise.

“I first met her in a coffee shop. She’s working there, and she got my order. Then when I came home, there’s a note beside my name.”

“What does the note says?”

“Hope you’ll come back, Jennie?”

“Then after that, you couldn’t stop thinking about her?”

“Something like that. If only it didn’t happen, maybe I’m not as confused as I am today.”

“Maybe… so does this mean… she likes you, too?”

“Hmm…”

“Now this is interesting.”

“Interesting? What’s interesting about that? How am I supposed to face this? If she’s a guy, it’s easier. You know?”

“I know…”

It suddenly filled the room with silence.

“You’re scared that people will judge you?”

“I guess so.”

I whispered.

“But it looks like you’re the biggest judge of what’s going on with your life.”

It stopped me from thinking.

Is she right?

Am I the one judging myself? Is this the reason I couldn’t go with the flow? It’s because I couldn’t accept the fact that I can fall for a girl?

“So, what do you want me to do? Tell her I like her, too? What if I’m just blinded by the attention she’s giving me?”

“It’s not the first time someone gave you their attention, right? There’s a lot of guys who tried to pursue you, but did you even get confused with it? Well, I never heard you say you like them.”

I sighed because she’s right.

They never bothered me even once. I always thought maybe I’m still young, that’s why I never got affected by everything they did to me.

“By the way, why is she here earlier aside from giving grandma a gift?”

“Hmm? Ah… She’s asking me if I could join her and her mom to their dinner tonight. I said I can’t because I need to accommodate you.”

“Oh my gosh, Jennie!”

She sat up.

“You don’t need to worry about me! Why don’t you message her and say that you’ll join them tonight? It’s the mom, Jennie! It’s the mom! You don’t say no to that.”

*****


***LISA***


“Are you leaving already? I thought we will have dinner later?”

Mom was in a hurry when I bumped into her in the hallway.


“Relax, sweetheart. The only appointment I have today is with my stylist. I need to fix my hair for later. I want to be presentable in front of your future girlfriend.”

I shook my head.

“She’s not coming with us, mom. She has a visitor, so she needs to stay at home.”

Her mood suddenly changed with my news.

“That’s not pleasant news. How about tomorrow night?”

“I don’t know, mom. I don’t think her visitor will leave soon.”

She squeezed my arms to comfort me.

“Then maybe next time? I promise to come back home sooner so we could arrange another dinner with her, okay?”

I nodded and smiled at the thought that she’s doing this just to see me happy.

“But… I still need to fix my hair, okay? This won’t take long. Take some rest, and we’ll still have our dinner tonight.”

She headed to the door while I ran to my room to take a nap.

I changed to my usual pajamas while wondering what Jennie told her best friend Jisoo about me.

Are they talking about me, like typical girls who talk about boys?

You wish, Lisa!

“But I think she said something good about me, right?”

I said after I lay my back on the bed.

“But what was it? Did she tell her I’m nice? Sweet?”

Hmm… whatever it was, I’m positive that it was a wonderful one because her smile and eyes said it all.

Also, I could see that she likes me. Well, if that’s true, it only means one thing. She approves my existence in her best friend’s life, right?

The question is, how to be part of Jennie’s life?

Thank God my phone beeped. It stopped me from all these stupid thoughts in my head.

Jennie: Hey!

I sat up as soon as I saw her name.

Me: Hey!

Jennie: Is your offer still up? I mean, the dinner tonight?

Wait, wait, wait! Is she going to say yes now?

Me: Yeah. It is.

Jennie: Can I change my mind and say yes to that? I hope it’s not yet too late?

Me: Seriously? You’re coming with us tonight? How about Jisoo?

Jennie: She’s fine. I realized she’s old enough to take care of herself. Besides, I don’t want your mom to have a terrible impression about me.

Oh… so she’s more worried about what my mom will think about her than what I’ll feel? Well, that made me like her even more. At least I know my mom matters to her, too.

Me: She’ll be glad to hear that you’re coming with us tonight.

Jennie: But…

Jennie: Do I need to worry about the dress I should wear later?

Me: Oh… that… just wear your most comfortable dress. Nothing formal.

Jennie: Okay. See you tonight, then?

Me: See you tonight.


***TO BE CONTINUED***


Chapter 8       Chapter 10


No comments:

Post a Comment